INTRODUCTION | ACADEMIC STRUCTURE | FACULTY | BLOG | FAQ | APPLY The Master in Advanced Interaction is organized around three terms, each including a Research Studio and a series of Seminars and related events. The Research Studios are the main part of the program: they focus on building technical, aesthetic and conceptual skills by working on real-life situations. Seminar [...]
Biology Zero CourseBack to the list
BIOLOGY ZERO COURSE
JULY 25th to AUGUST 5th 2016
The practice of science is radically changing. The knowledge that was previously generated only within large institutional laboratories has become accessible on the small and networked scale while taking advantage of the interdisciplinary environment of practicing biologists, machinists, and designers. Biology Zero engages in a return to the roots of scientific investigation in the spirit of shared access to knowledge and tools.
Biology Zero is a 10-day Bootcamp held at the Green Fab Lab, IAAC’s rural campus. It offers an immersive study into the basics of biology, delivering knowledge of methodology and the instruments needed to become a citizen scientist.
Participants will become familiar with a variety of microorganisms, learning how to extract them from samples taken on site, observe them under a microscope and obtain an analysis their DNA. They will learn how to prepare the proper media to assure optimal growing conditions and develop their own cultures. In order to do this, students will gain a practical experience of scientific concepts such as sterility, metabolism, genome, synthetic biology, biochemistry or microbiology. Students will not only learn to observe and describe the natural world but attain an understanding of how to actively experiment, design and engineer using their own instruments in a networked context.
The course is also a valuable preparation for those who wish to take the “Bio Academy” program in synthetic and computational biology directed by George Church, director of genetics at Harvard Medical school amongst others.
PRICE: 650 Euros
ACCOMMODATION: Options to stay onsite during weekdays are available by arrangement.
- Distinctions: Biochemistry, Microbiology, Cellular Biology and Synthetic Biology
- Basic Concepts: Cells and how they Function
- Principles and Practices: Using the Bio Lab inventory
- Research papers: The importance of reading the field.
- Introduction to Microscopy, preparation of slide samples
- Metabolisms and pathways.
- DNA and its make up.
- Culturing of Micro-organisms, Alga, Bacteria, and Yeasts.
- Preparation and maintaining sterile Petri dishes.
- Learning how to visualize Biological Data with Cytoscape
- Bioreactors and implementing sensing devices.
- Spectrometry and measuring growth.
- Sampling from the local environment.
- Extracting a DNA sample for analysis.
Jonathan Minchin, Msc
You can apply for Biology Zero course filling this form
If you have any further questions email us at [email protected]